Welcome to the Local History Room of EIPL
The first East Islip Public Library to serve the East Islip School District began June 21, 1961. It was located in a building that once was The First National Bank of East Islip. At that time, the library only served a few thousand people and the size was big enough to provide services without any need for expansion. Over the course of several years, the amount of people within the community grew and the library needed a brand new building. The construction of the first actual building specifically designed for the purpose of a library was done in 1967. In 2001, that building was renovated and two-stories of addition space were added, creating the East Islip Public Library that stands today.
Located in the lower level of the East Islip Public Library, the Local History Room is filled with many resources, including books, pictures, historical objects, newspaper articles, educational magazines, and more!
History is a fun and interesting thing to learn about, especially when it is about the place that you live!
To begin your journey, why not start by borrowing and viewing the East Islip Historical Society DVD? Learn about the East Islip Historical Society and how the Long Island History Room came into being, while viewing many interesting historical pictures of East Islip.
- The Suffolk Cooperative Library System has been designated as a Family History Center Affiliate Library. The designation entitles you to request most microfilm and microfiche listed in the Family History Library Catalog (www.familysearch.org) for a $6.00 per reel fee. Ask a Reference Librarian.
- Interested in New York history? Try (NewYorkHeritage.org), “a gateway to hundreds of digital collections about New York State’s people, places and institutions.”
New newspapers are being added to the Suffolk Historic Newspaper Collection (http://suffolkhistoricnewspapers.org/ ). Anyone who is interested in local history will find this to be a vital resource.
East of Islip, An Early History published by the East Islip Public Library is the complete history of the very beginnings of this wonderful town. An excellent start to project research or even just to learn more about your hometown.
The East Islip Public Library Local History Room, houses a collection of reference material, books on East Islip, Suffolk, Long Island and New York State.
The Bob Muller Long Island Lighthouse Collection, includes books and reference materials on a great number of lighthouses that are not only found on Long Island, but also ones that are located in other states as well.
- East of Islip, An Early History published by the East Islip Public Library is the complete history of the very beginnings of this wonderful town. An excellent start to project research or even just to learn more about your hometown.
- The East Islip Public Library Local History Room, houses a collection of reference material, books on East Islip, Suffolk, Long Island and New York State.
- The Bob Muller Long Island Lighthouse Collection, includes books and reference materials on a great number of lighthouses that are not only found on Long Island, but also ones that are located in other states as well.
Books: Specializing in the history of Long Island and New York.
- Index to the Long Island Forum 1938-2003
- Long Island Forum 1958, 1965-75, and 1979-2003
- Long Island Historical Journal 1989+
- On Long Island and Lighthouses.
- New York Times Microfilm 1964-2006
- Newsday Microfilm 1988-2010
- Microfiche Collection of magazines from 1960-2005
Other Print Resources:
- The World Almanac Collection 1929+
- Information Please Almanac 1947-1989
- What They Said In … 1971-1995
- Who’s Who Among American High Schools 1981-2003
- Long Island Maritime Museum
- Tour the Oheka Estate
- News and Events at the Society for the Preservation on LI Antiquities
- Cradle of Aviation Museum
- Patchogue/Medford Genealogy Research Group
- Connetquot River State Park Preserve
- Bayard Cutting Arboretum
Researching the History of Your House
- Town of Islip
- Suffolk County Historic Documents Library/clerk's office
- Suffolk County Clerk's Office
- New York State Historic Preservation Office
- National Museum of American History Finding History in Your Home
- National Register
National Register of Historic Places
- New York State Census for 1892, 1915, & 1925
- Genealogy Federation of Long Island
- Family History Library-The Suffolk Cooperative Library system has been designated an LDS Family History Center Affiliate Library. This designation entitles Suffolk residents to request most microfilm and microfiche listed in the Family History Library Catalog for use inside the library. What this means is that you will no longer have to travel to Plainview to request and view genealogy microfilm.
- Ancestry-(For in library use only)
- Ellis Island : The American Family Immigration Center
- Local History and Genealogy Portals to the World
- HeritageQuest Database - You will need an East Islip Library Card barcode to use this site
- Plainview Family History Center
- Long Island Genealogy
- Patchogue/Medford Central Library Resources
- SuffolkWeb Genealogy resources
- New York State Historical Association
- New York History Net
- East Islip Historical Society
- Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities
- Suffolk County Historical Society
- Long Island Traditions - Preserves LI's ethnic, occupational & architectural heritage
Libraries and Government Resourses
- Library and Archival Exhibits
- Finding maps at Stony Brook University
- Long Island Memories
- New York State Archives
Celia M. Hastings Local History Room
- Long Island Studies Institute
- New York State Library Excelsior Online Catalog
- Historical Document Inventory
- Suffolk County Clerk's Office
- Suffolk Historic Newspapers The Corrector 1822-1911
- The Long Islander 1839-1974
- The Long Island Traveler 1872-1898
- The Port Jefferson Echo 1892-1931
- The Sag Harbor Express 1885-1898
- South Side Signal 1869-1879
- Suffolk County News 1888-1953+1996-2007
- History of Horton Point Lighthouse
- Fire Island Lighthouse
- Huntington Harbor Lighthouse
- East End Lighthouses
- The site for all New York and Long Island Lighthouse information, pictures and events
- U.S.Lighthouse Society - Long Island Chapter News and Events
- Montauk Point Lighthouse
- Best Lighthouses A tour of U.S. lighthouses and their history
- Internet Public Library- Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
- U.S. Lighthouses - Find lighthouses listed by state
Local History Online
- Historical Islip Trail
- New York City Market Analysis from the 1940s
- Finding Maps at Stonybrook University
New York Folklore Society
- Long Island Memories LILRC Digitization Project
- Index to Birth, Marriage, & Death Announcements in The Long Island Advance
- Brookwood Hall Orphan Asylum
- Long Island Poetry Podcasts
- Long Island Early Fliers Club
- New York History Net
- New York Heritage Digital Collections
- A gateway to hundreds of digital collections of New York's people, places and institutions.
- NYS Digital Archives
Suffolk Historic Newspapers:
- South Side Signal 1869-1879
- The Corrector 1858-1871
- The Long Island Traveler 1880-1892
- The Long Islander 1839-1863
- Port Jefferson Echo 1892-1906
- Suffolk County News 1869-1942
- Mid-Island Mail 1935-1941
- Long Island Forum Index 1938-2003
- Long Island Maps and Their Makers
Listening Tour of South Shore History
- Researching the History of Your House
Long Island Memories
Nassau County Historic Newspapers
New York State Newspaper Project
Suffolk Historic Newspapers South Side Signal 1869-1879
The Corrector 1839-1871
The Long Islander 1839-1960
The Long Island Traveler 1872-1898
The Port Jefferson Echo 1892-1931
Mid-Island Mail 1935-1941
The Sag Harbor Express 1885-1898
South Side Signal 1869-1879
Suffolk County News 1869-1942
Long Island Historical Museums
William Floyd Estate
Walt Whitman's Birthplace
Meadow Croft-John E. Roosevelt Estate
American Airpower Museum at Republic
Cradle of Aviation Museum
Long Island Maritime Museum
Long Island Museum of American Art, History and Carirages
Old Bethpage Village Restoration
Railroad Museum of Long Island
Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum
Sagamore Hill National Historic Site
Suffolk County Museums and Historic Locations
Wednesday 2-4 pm and Saturday 2-4pm - please call before coming to ensure that a volunteer will be in attendance.